To Be Decluttered….For Good!!
The thought of going through your entire home and decluttering it is quite an overwhelming feat, but you can set yourself up by preparing ahead of time.
How many of you have done this before only to turn around 1 week later and feel like you didn’t do anything?
Yep! Me too!!
If you’ve done this before and felt it was a waste of time because it’s all back again, you are in for a treat with this 10-Day Declutter Challenge!
We will go through each area of the house step-by-step. At the end of the 10-Day Declutter Challenge, I will provide you with a few free bonus resources to help you maintain a decluttered home for good!
Clearing physical and digital clutter from our homes has an incredible effect on our mental well-being. I have never met a mom that doesn’t feel an immense peace and calm when her home is decluttered and organized. You are much less likely to blow up at the kids or your husband when your home feels peaceful and decluttered. Your anxiety and stress over the home and getting things done goes away. Everyone in the home can feel the more peaceful atmosphere and can actually start enjoying each other’s presence rather than being irritated by each other.
So let’s walk through a few ways we can prepare for decluttering the entire home.
My hope is that you don’t have to spend more than an hour or two each day going through your home but everyone’s home is different so don’t get discouraged if it takes you longer. Just finish it because you and I both know if you don’t finish it, you won’t get back to it for a very long time.
Just get started and complete it. Even if you have to do it in chunks of time. Even if a certain room happens to take more than a day because, well….“Life Happened”, do not worry.
There is no time limit and you will not lose access to all of the resources I will be providing in this group.
If you aren’t able to start and finish exactly as I have laid out here, no big deal. Just don’t quit! You will be glad you didn’t when it is all said and done!!
Are you ready to finally get some order around your home and strategically maintain that organization once and for all??
Let’s prepare our home!
Pick a location in your home to keep all of your donations.
I recommend you choose a room with a door you can close for 3 important reasons:
- So you can relax each day – When you are done working and want to put your feet up you won’t have to keep looking at all the piles, boxes and bags of stuff. Out of sight, out of mind while you relax.
- So your kids will not see their things in the donation pile and want it back.
- So YOU don’t want something back when you see it sitting in a pile and all of a sudden you get a case of the “what ifs.”
Gather some supplies.
Go around your home or run to the store and gather these supplies to have on hand:
- Garbage bags and/or boxes– These will be for garbage and things you plan to donate.
- Storage baskets and bins– Chances are you have tons of these around your home anyways. If not grab a few at the store in different sizes and if you end up not using them you can always return them. If there are garage sales going on a lot of time you can find these things there too. These will be used for those items that you aren’t quite ready to part with and for storing away things.
- Drawer organizers– These are great for keeping drawers neat and tidy. The Dollar Store or Walmart are great places to find cheap, yet useful drawer organizers. The link above will take you to some on Amazon and if you have Amazon Prime you can get these in just a few days probably cheaper than the store.
- Your favorite coffee, tea, and chocolate. You will need something to get your day started and something as a reward at the end of the day for getting the job done.
Use the weekend to get these things done ahead of time.
Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance!!
On Sunday I will be sending you another article all about Preparing Your Heart. I will also be posting some rules and guidelines for our group so keep an eye out for that. Each morning when you get up just go to your 10-Day Declutter Challenge private FB group and see what’s new. I encourage you to also interact daily in the group so we can all see how each other is doing. It’s motivating to know we aren’t the only ones going through this process.